Sunday, October 20, 2013

Wallbanger

Wallbanger by Alice Clayton
Rating: 3.7/5
Finished reading: October 18, 2013.

Caroline Reynolds has a fantastic new apartment in San Francisco and she has a successful interior design career but she is missing her “O”. On the first night at her first apartment she is awaken by thumps on the wall and this goes on for 3 nights and each night gets weirder. A couple weeks later, it happens again and she gets furious when she is woken up and goes over and banged on his door till he answered. It’s pretty basic from here, they obviously feel some kind of connection when they meet, and the rest of the story is them starting off with a truce when they meet unexpectedly at a party, becoming friends and obviously eventually falling for each other. Within the story you also get to know Caroline’s friends, cat and even Simon’s friends.

After a stressful week, I wanted to read a book that was fun and quick. Going off the cover and title of this book, I thought I was going to hate it but based on the reviews, everyone said it was hilarious and a fast read so I thought I would give it a try. It actually wasn’t as horrible as I thought it would be. I thought it was going to be like another 50 Shades of Grey but it wasn’t even close, it was completely different from what I thought it would be about. There were things I liked and disliked about it.

One thing I love is how the all the characters are so easy to love; I surprisingly didn’t hate any of them. Simon was especially very swoon-worthy. I liked his old school music choices, how much he loved Caroline’s baking and that wherever he traveled he collected bottles of sand from the beaches.  The banter between the characters was great and I loved the slow romance and how they didn’t get into a relationship right away. Another thing I loved is Caroline’s cat and I’m not even a cat person! His involvement in the story was great and creative.

One small thing that annoyed the hell out of me was how Caroline would always be slapping him, flicking his ear, pointing her finger at him, ruffling his hair etc. Another was the “O” thing. I’m not even going to get into this but I know it was supposed to be funny but it was just annoying and strange. “I think O even popped her head up for a moment, like a groundhog. She took a quick glance around and pronounced it much closer to spring than she’d been in months” So. Weird.  She also personified her nerves, vagina, brain, etc. which made me cringe.

Overall, this book was perfect for a quick enjoyable read. I liked it a lot. It was hilarious, drama-free, sexy, light and I had a giant grin on my face the entire time I was reading it. It was easy to get into and it flowed easily. I definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a fun light read.

Always take a compliment. Always take it the way it was intended. You girls are always quick to twist what others say. Simply say “thank you” and move on.” – probably one of the lines I would always remember from this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment