Friday, October 11, 2013

The Evolution of Mara Dyer

The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
Rating: 4/5 stars.
Finished reading: October 10, 2013.

This is my first review on this blog. Hopefully it's decent and I don't sound like I have no idea what i'm talking about..

     The Evolution of Mara Dyer is the sequel in the “Mara Dyer” series. Michelle Hodkin is very talented; her writing is both beautiful and haunting. The book mainly picks up right where the first book leaves off and Mara Dyer is in an psychiatric unit. But is she really crazy? Did she really see her dead ex-boyfriend Jude? Mara no longer goes to Croyden but is put into a Horizons Outpatient Program and goes there 5 times a week. Throughout the book, Mara notices that things in her house are either going missing or appearing somewhere else. Mara is even having blackouts, flashbacks, sleepwalking, forgetting things, etc. We find out more about her grandmother and find out that her and Mara might have something in common. There are surprising plot twists, a scary stalking ex-boyfriend, and intense moments that will keep you on your toes. The book ends with a cliffhanger that leaves readers in a state of shock.
     I was very hesitant about starting this book; even though I thought the first book was good, I still found it so creepy that I got a bad vibe with it. I didn’t want to go through all those crazy emotions again and I knew that the sequel was going to be even creepier. I wasn’t expecting a lot out of this book but this was surprisingly really great and it would keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time. This book was MUCH creepier than the first one, as I predicted; at times this book was so scary I had to stop reading and wait till it was daylight outside. One thing that actually scared me the most, aside from Jude, was the fact that people thought Mara was crazy but no one, except Noah, would believe her. The thought of that happening to anybody is horrifying. I love how Mara didn't give up even though she was so fragile on the inside and that her own family didn’t trust her with anything.
     The romance in this book is incredible. “If I were to live a thousand years, I would belong to you for all of them. If we were to live a thousand lives, I would want to make you mine in each one” SWOON. Noah Shaw is an absolute babe in this book. In the first book, Noah is just a rich guy, who is cocky and sleeps with a lot of girls and out of nowhere he and Mara are in love. In this sequel, you see their relationship grow and he is totally dedicated to Mara. No matter what Mara said/did, he was by her side through all of it. You see that he actually really cares about her.
     I have a love/hate relationship with her family. I loved how her family, especially her mom, cares about Mara. It is very realistic; in other books, parents seem to disappear most of the time. But at the same time, it annoyed me so much how no one in her family would believe her and would watch her, just waiting for her to say something that would consider her “crazy”. The only people in her family that didn’t bother me were her brothers. I absolutely love Daniel, every girl wants a brother like him, and Joseph is so innocent and adorable when he is with Noah.
     Overall, this book gets a little confusing and complex at times but in the end it is great and worth the read. The only downside is that both books gave me so much anxiety, this book especially. Reading this book during midterm week at school was a bad idea. My emotions were everywhere! The wait for the next book is torture and I am defiantly going to start reading it the day it comes out.

Clare xx

No comments:

Post a Comment