Sunday, November 10, 2013

Allegiant by Veronica Roth

WILL CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS!!!!!

Allegiant by Veronica Roth
Rating: 3/5 Stars

I started this book off with four stars but after thinking about it for a while, I changed it to three, even though it absolutely kills me. I don’t think I can ever write a proper review for this book. I finished this over 2 weeks ago and I still don’t know what to write, so this “review” is just going to be one big rant and I’m sorry.

First of all, the Divergent series is one of my favorites of all time but this book is definitely my least favorite out of the three. The other two books, Divergent and Insurgent, took me no longer than two or three days to finish and this took me over a week. I’m not sure if it was because mentally I didn’t want to finish it or if it was just really boring and not as exciting. I also felt like it was very rushed and that Veronica Roth just wanted to get it done with.

The beginning started out really slow and I was a little confused since they didn’t start off where Insurgent left off. I honestly did not get into the storyline till towards the end. A lot of irrelevant events happened and it had a different vibe from the other two books and I did not like it. I wanted a lot from this book, considering it is the last in the series, but one thing I really wanted but didn’t get was more Peter. Even though he was an absolute horrible person in Divergent, he redeemed himself for me in Insurgent and I started to love him. I wanted Tris and him to become friends or for Peter to admit that he had a crush on her. BUT HE WAS HARDLY IN. None of their friends were in it as much either and that pissed me off. I wanted more Christina too, and Uriah was in it for like 5 seconds than died. How was that even fair?

Caleb is a special snowflake and gets his own little paragraph. Even though he was not there for Tris in Insurgent and basically led her to her death, for some reason I still had a soft spot for Caleb. I knew from the minute Tris suggested that Caleb go into the room, I knew she would go instead. My heart broke a little when he let her go. I don't think he will ever recover from that but a part of me still wishes that Caleb been the big brother he should have been and went instead.

I loved the romance. I saw a lot of negative things about both Tris and Tobias and how they were both annoying in this book but I didn’t mind the fighting, even though it was frustrating at the time. The fighting made it seem more realistic and I loved seeing them get through the rough parts together. With all the fighting,  you see that they truly love each other and can get through anything.

The ending is what the hype of this book is about. I honestly saw something like this coming, especially since they did the deed, but I still cried. A LOT. I did not agree with the ending but I respect it. It was a bold move to end it that way because Veronica knew she would most likely get hate for it and it was not like every other Dystopian novel where the main characters get together in the end. It was nice to switch it up even though it killed a part of my soul.

I wanted to love this book with all my heart but it just didn’t happen for me. This book wasn’t her best but I will still read anything Veronica Roth writes. Divergent will forever be one of my favorite series, even with that heart-breaking ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment